Thursday, November 6, 2008

Breakin' Out

I get to go home tomorrow!  I'm pretty excited about that :)  Saturday will be 2 weeks so Dr. Hornick is letting me out tomorrow.  Studies have shown that hospitalizations lose their effectiveness after 2 weeks and can actually do more harm than good.  Being on antibiotics long term, without a break, can lead to decreased sensitivity.  I have resistance to most drugs, and a lot of the ones I'm not resistant to I'm allergic to, so I certainly don't need any help with that.
I got blood drawn again today, and again, it only took 1 stick.  I'm completely shocked by that.  The entire time I've been here I've only had to be stuck the number of times I've needed blood drawn.  That's pretty crazy.  A very good crazy though.  A kinda of crazy I would like to be repeated over and over and over and...you get the idea :)
I've had a whole different attitude toward taking care of myself for the last couple of months, and it's only improved since I've been here.  Suddenly taking care of the diabetes isn't such a chore, and I actually don't mind (I haven't made it to "like" yet) exercising.  It's been somewhat enjoyable since I've been here.  I've made progress and I feel better physically and emotionally.  I'm trying to figure out what to do for exercise when I get home.  We have a Wii now, so that will definitely help.  I'm looking at a couple of options, but I'm not sure what we'll be able to do.  Whatever happens though, I really think God is changing my mind and my attitude.  I've prayed for that for years and now it's happening.  Very cool.
I got a really happy surprise today.  I found out that the new PT aid, Kelly, is a Christian too!  I'd suspected it since I met her about a week ago, and apparently she had suspected me too :)  Today she asked me and after I told her I  was, we had a great conversation!  It is really nice to be able to talk to her while she's doing my CPT.  She is a very cheerful person and always has a smile on her face.
Today also seemed to be Pick-on-Becky-Day.  It was all in good fun, but it seemed that everyone who came in had something to tease me about.  I've thought for a long time that I must have a sign on my forehead I can't see that says "You can pick on me and I'll take it well".  I actually like it a lot.  The one I remember most is when we were coming back from Las Vegas.  We were on a flight that served us these little boxed lunches that included Jelly Belly's...one of my all time favorite treats.  I got really excited about it and the steward said "Oh ma'am, I'll have to take those".  I got a shocked, sad look on my face and then he laughed and said "I'm just kidding!".  He (and Jake) got a good laugh out of that.  I love that people, even strangers, know they can joke with me like that.
If you know me, you know that I LOVE games, no matter what the game is.  Board games, card games, video games...I love them all.  So, the hospital has a Bingo night that I've always loved to go to.  I guess they realized that people had a hard time getting to the room where they had it so they started TV Bingo.  They have a closed-circuit TV station here at the hospital that they now use for that every two weeks!  It's pretty fun.  You turn the TV to channel 5 at 6:00pm and play.  Earlier in the day they come around and ask everyone if they want to play and give them a Bingo card.  When you get Bingo you call BINGO (2-4646) on the phone and they answer it on the show.  We play 4 games and there are 2 winners for every game.  When all the games are over, the volunteers bring around a cart of prizes that each can pick from. (They're good prizes too!)  Well, last night I was the second winner of the last game!  I chose a green shawl that I'm quite sure my "Aunt" Vicki is going to try to steal. :-P  It was a really nice diversion for awhile!
Anyways, I'll be home by tomorrow night and be ready to visit with the Stubbs family while Jake's sister, Selena, and her husband, Brian, and their 2 1/2 year old daughter, Norah, are down for the weekend.  I always look forward to seeing them and am especially excited to see Selena, who is at the moment very pregnant.  She is due at the end of December, so this will be the last time we see them before the baby is born.  I'm getting home just in time to see them and have some really good food.  Pretty good timing, I think :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Becky -

    Good news that you are coming home. Trust you will come home much improved and that the healing within your body will continue. From your earlier blog you obviously have some decisions to make concerning a lung transplant, etc. Kent, Karen, Carol and I are still excited about what the Lord might do with your testimony. Kent has someone (who your mother knows) at State Farm who has agreed to put a website together free of charge. While we were meeting with Kent at Panara's last Wednesday and talking about you and your mother, we turn around and guess who is standing there....your mother. She was there to meet another friend. That was really a God thing. We all looked at one another and just marveled at all the God is doing to urge this project forward.

    Have a safe trip home and Carol and I hope to hookup with you and Jake too if he's available. We continue praying for you, Jake and family.

    Blessings,

    Bill & Carol

    ReplyDelete